Due to its panoramic views, the Chicamocha Canyon makes hiking a captivating experience. During the hike across the canyon you will learn about tobacco cultivations and you will also visit an old and isolated colonial village with its historic hanging bridge in the heart of the Chicamocha Canyon.
The hike will start close to the town Villanueva where you will be at the edge of the canyon at a height of 1500 meters above sea level and 1000 meters above the canyon river. The path starts with a descent from 1500 to 450 MASL going down for about 5 hours and a total of 12 km until the hostel “Refugio de Caminantes” in the town Jordán. In the afternoon you can rest and explore the region. You will spend the night in the hostel. On the following day you will go up the canyon on the other side for a total of approx. 6 km and 3.5 hours. The trail ends in “Los Santos”, a town with a beautiful central park located at the edge of the canyon.
- Private transport to Villanueva (approx. 3.5 hours from Bucaramanga, 30 minutes from Barichara or San Gil; a group of 1 - 3 persons in a small-size SUV, a group of 3+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver; if a group of 3 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 2 pays per person)
- Private transport from Los Santos to Bucaramanga (approx. 2 hours of travel)
- Transport of the luggage from Barichara to Bucaramanga without additional costs
- 1 night in a hammock of a hostel, usually in “Refugio de Caminantes”
- 2 days trekking across the Chicamocha Canyon
- Visit to the town of Jordán
- Lunch and dinner included on the first day
- Breakfast included on the second day
- Water and snacks during the hike
- English or Spanish-speaking accompaniment
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports (hiking already counts as an extreme sport and is often not covered by the international insurance of the traveler)
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, mosquito repellent, hiking shoes, long-sleeve pants and shorts, clothes to change, sweatshirt, hat, swimsuit and towel.
- Meeting point: If you are located in Bucaramanga or Barichara, we will pick you up without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the trip at 6 am leaving from Barichara or San Gil and 3 am leaving from Bucaramanga. However, we are flexible and we can start the tour earlier or later. Usually in the afternoon of the second day, you will get back to Bucaramanga.
- Net prices per person are listed in the following table (valid until Dic. 31, 2022). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports. Colombian residents receive a discount of 10% but must pay additional 19% IVA (ART. 481 ESTATUTO TRIB. / DECRETO 297 DE 2016).
|2 Days: Chicamocha Canyon Trekking: Prices per person depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||520,000||550,000||770,000||890,000||1.190,000||2.120,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||144||153||214||247||331||589|
* The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3600 on November 26, 2021. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3900 on November 26, 2021. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.