Colombia´s most exclusive coffee, the largest cacao producer in Colombia, hidden waterfalls, amazing canyon landscapes – Santander is known for its advanced cultivation processes and for its incomparable nature. You will even have the chance to interact with local farmers who will be happy to meet you.
from 303 USD
NOTE: The following description and prices of the tour are based on a 4-day visit. Please, take into account that we can offer a longer or shorter Cultivation - Nature Tour. Just contact us for your customized tour!
- Bilingual coordinator/ guide
- Private transport (a group of 1 - 3 persons in a small-size SUV, a group of 3+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver)
- Some meals according to the itinerary (the description shows which meals are included)
- All described activities and entries (exception: activities and entries where it is explicitly mentioned that they are not included and that they have an additional cost)
- Medical insurance from Colasistencia and an additional insurance for all activities that have a higher risk
- Standard hotels (clean and comfortable; double or triple rooms) including breakfast
- NOTE: You have the possibility to upgrade the hotel for an additional cost. Let us know the type of hotel you would like to stay in and we will send you a quote.
Opening the following points, you will find the detailed itinerary and description of each day, additional information and the price table:
Lake Topocoro - Boat Ride and Waterfalls
Arrival at the Airport Bucaramanga Palonegro (BGA)
|Morning||Transfer to the Lake Topocoro||
Transfer approx. 1 hour
|Morning/ noon||Boat Ride and Waterfalls||
The Topocoro Lake is an artificial lake which was formed due to the new Dam Hidrosogamoso a couple of years ago. Because of the fact that it is new lake it is not known by a lot of people and therefore, you rarely see any tourists. You won´t even find the lake on Google Maps.
Arriving at the lake you will take a private boat ride to 2 different small waterfalls that can only be reached by the boat.
The first one is depending on the water level up to 20 meters high and will be reached entering a part of the Chicamocha Canyon where you will have an amazing view.
The second place you will visit consists of several small waterfalls that are set up in various steps. Here you can enjoy climbing up the waterfalls and jump into the different ponds.
The Lake Topocoro has a high water temperature (warmer than the Caribbean Sea) which makes it a great place to swim.
The overall time on the lake and at the waterfalls will be about 2.5 to 3 hours. Getting back to the parking of the Seamanship Club lot you will have the opportunity to take a shower and change clothes.
|Afternoon||Lunch||Lunch will be provided at the Seamanship Club (lunch included)|
|Afternoon/ late afternoon||Transfer to the San Vicente de Chucurí||
Transfer approx. 1 to 1.5 hours
If you wish do optional watersports such as skiing or jet-ski for an additional cost, you will have the opportunity to do so before the transfer to San Vicente de Chucurí.
|Evening||Check-In and Dinner||Check-in at the Hotel in San Vicente de Chucurí. You will enjoy a delicious dinner at the hotel or at a restaurant in San Vicente de Chucurí (dinner not included).|
San Vicente de Chucurí - Cacao Tour
|Before 9 am||Breakfast||Breakfast included in the hotel|
|Morning||Transfer to the Cacao Farm||
Transfer approx. 20 minutes
This region is Colombia´s largest producer of cacao producing 25% of the cacao in the country. It is located right next to the National Park Serranía de los Yariguies, an unique ecosystem and source of income for the people regarding the cacao, coffee and fruit growing, among others.
The region is also well known for the quality and the sustainable production of cacao, especially for the fair-trade product “Chocolate Santander”, a dark-chocolate bar that promotes the sustainable production of cacao in this region and that has won the Great Taste Award (UK) a few times among other international awards.
|Morning/ noon/ afternoon||Cacao Tour + Lunch||
Upon arrival at the farm you will enjoy a refreshing drink or a coffee, chocolate or tea.
First, you will have a short talk will about the generalities of the farm and types of cacao fruit and you will learn about the artisanal toasting process (just the toasting takes 2 hours).
While the chef will toast the beans you will be shown the cacao plantation and will be given a detailed cacao tour.
The cacao tour will be made in a cacao tree forest on the farm, so you can learn about the agronomic management and you can admire the biodiversity of the crop. You will have the opportunity to interact with the farmers and the process in the different phases of production.
Lunch will be included after doing the tour in the forest.
After lunch you will do the cacao experience which means that you will make your own chocolate. It will be a great experience because you do not just watch the process, but are part of the process itself. For this experience the beans that have been toasted for 2 hours in the morning will be used.
|Afternoon||Transfer back to the Hotel in Bucaramanga||Transfer approx. 2.5 hours|
We will provide you with the information about different options for dinner (dinner not included) and we will also provide you the transport to the restaurant.
Coffee Tour and National Park in the Chicamocha Canyon
|Before 8 am||Breakfast||Breakfast included in the hotel|
|Morning||Transfer to the Coffee Farm||
Transfer approx 1 hour.
|Morning||Coffee Tour + Coffee Tasting||
You will walk the paths of the Hacienda El Roble, a coffee estate with more than 100 years of tradition of producing one of the world’s finest coffee (officially the most expensive coffee of Colombia).
During the walk (approx. 1 hour) you will get to know the outside coffee museum including the coffee plants, the coffee planting and growing, and various types of coffee.
After the walk you will arrive at the production facilities where you will learn about the different steps of the coffee processing.
The tour will end with the coffee tasting where you have the possibility to taste the coffee grown on the farm and distinguish between the different tastes, aromas and attributes.
The coffee farm is certified by the Rainforest Alliance, ensuring that Los Santos Mesa coffee conserves biodiversity and ensures sustainable livelihoods for 127 species of birds that can be found within the Hacienda El Roble. The completely organic coffee is grown under a dense forest canopy and is certified by BCS ÖKO-Garantie, a leading international certifier.
After the whole tour and tasting you will have a delicious lunch at the guesthouse.
|Noon||Transfer to Chicamocha Park by Cable Car||
Enjoy the cable car ride through the Chicamocha Canyon going more than 1000 meters down the canyon and up on the other side (total length 6,3 km; duration of the ride 30 minutes).
Enjoy the unique landscape during the ride through the canyon which is with 2000 m even deeper than the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA and has a total length of 227 km. The Canyon was formed more than 60 million years ago from what once used to be a great sea.
|Walking Tour in the National Park/ Theme Park||
Arriving on the other side of canyon you will be entering the Chicamocha National Park.
The park is divided into 3 different parts:
The lower part at the cable car station is a tiny town representing the colonial town Barichara. Here you can find restaurants, shops, shops for souvenirs, a little chapel and the Guane Museum. The Guane Museum shows the culture of the indigenous Colombian tribe “los Guanes”, including information about their culture, items they used and even come skulls that show the cranial deformation.
Going up about 100 stairs from the town you will arrive at the Santander Monument “Monumento a la Santandereanidad” which represents the first step of the Colombian independence. The monument is build upon a large tobacco leave which represents a very important economic element of the region. The monument shows angry statues that all appoint at the Spanish Empire since they wanted to gain their independence. The reason why the monument is located in Santander is that the first revolts for the independence of Colombia and other Latin American countries took place in El Socorro which used to be the capital of Santander.
Walking up the hill for about 400 meters you get to the 360 degrees viewpoint where you can enjoy the majestic view on the canyon from different angles.
Additionally to these 3 parts you will find different activities in the park such as canyoning, an extreme swing, ziplining, an ostrich park, virtual reality, buggies, a waterpark, etc. (not included in the price).
At the end you will have to cross the canyon in the cable again to get back to the parking lot (approx. 30 minutes).
|Late Afternoon/ Evening||Transfer to the Hotel in Bucaramanga||
Approx. 1 hour and 20 min transfer
If this day is a weekend day (Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday), there is the possibility to stop at the farmer´s market on the way back to Bucaramanga.
“El Mercado Campesino” (Farmer´s Market) is a market that promotes fair trade. It is a place where the farmers can offer their fruits and vegetables among other products directly to locals. In addition, you will find entrepreneurs from the regions that offer their products in restaurants, bars, handcraft shops, etc.
|Evening||Dinner||We will provide you with the information about different options for dinner (dinner not included) and we will also provide you the transport to the restaurant.|
|Flexible||Breakfast and Check-Out||Breakfast included at the hotel|
Depending on the time of your departure flight we will bring you to the airport. The airport transfer lasts approx. 30 minutes.
What to bring:
- Sunscreen and hat or cap
- Light and comfortable shoes
- Water shoes or shoes that may get wet
- Comfortable clothes for the day activities (usually shorts and t-shirts)
- Sweatshirt or a light jacket (it might get fresh at night)
- Mosquito spray
- Small backpack to carry the necessary items for the day
- Swim suit and towel
Physical effort information of the activities:
- Walking Cacao Forest: low/ medium physical effort
- Walking Coffee Farm: low physical effort
- Walking Chicamocha National Park: low/ medium physical effort
Arrival from/ Departure to Villa de Leyva:
- The tour can easily be organized with the transfer Villa de Leyva – Chicamocha National Park on the first day. This means that order of the Day 1: Lake Topocoro and Day 3: Chicamocha National Park would switch.
- The tour can also be organized departing to Villa de Leyva on Day 3. This means it is not necessary to stay an additional night in Bucaramanga.
- The additional cost for the transfer from or to Villa de Leyva is 500.000 COP for a group of 1 to 3 tourists (in a small SUV) and 900.000 COP for a group of 4 to 12 tourists.
Schedules of the Parks:
- The Chicamocha National Park is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Depending on the day of arrival we might have to adapt the order days to guarantee a successful tour. That would neither change the overall activities nor the price of the tour.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2022). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports. Colombian residents receive a discount of 10%, but must pay additional 19% IVA (ARTÍCULO 481 DEL ESTATUTO TRIBUTARIO/ DECRETO 297 DE 2016).
- Regarding the transport, a group of 1 - 3 persons will be transported in a small-size SUV, a group of 3+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver. If a group of 3 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 2 pays per person.
- The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3600 on November 26, 2021. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3900 on November 26, 2021. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.
- Prices increase by 10% in “High Season” which is between 18th Dec and 19th Jan, spring break (09th - 17th Apr), between 12th Jun and 06th Jul, between 8th and 16th Oct, and the long weekends with a national holiday.
|Prices per person depending on the size of the travel group
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||$ 1'090.000||$ 1'150.000||$ 1'280.000||$ 1'520.000||$ 2'000.000||$ 3'760.000|
|Price per person in USD:||$ 303||$ 319||$ 356||$ 422||$ 556||$ 1.044|