The Chicamocha Canyon is the perfect place to do hiking since you will have stunning views onto the landscape during the entire hike. The hike usually starts in a sector of the canyon called “La Mojarra”. At the beginning of the hike you will be at the edge of the canyon at a height of about 1500 meters above sea level and 1000 meters above the canyon river.
The hike, which is included in this day trip, ends in Los Santos, a town with a beautiful central park located at the edge of the canyon. Starting a steep hike down the canyon for about 300 meters in altitude you will gradually go up along the canyon in order to arrive at Los Santos. The advantage of this hike is that you will not have to stand the heat at the bottom of the canyon since you won´t go down all the way to the river. The total hike takes you about 2 to 5 hours depending on your speed and on the trail you take.
If you wish to hike all the way down to the river or even cross the canyon to go up on the side, let us know and we will offer you another trail. This hike however, would have an additional cost since we have to provide a special transport service.
- Private transport to Los Santos (approx. 1.5 hours from Bucaramanga; a group of 1 - 4 persons in a small-size SUV, a group of 5+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver; if a group of 4 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 3 pays per person)
- Transport in a public bus from Los Santos to La Mojarra (in case you have a driver guide)
- Hiking for approx. 2 to 5 hours
- English-, Spanish- and/ or German-speaking accompaniment
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports (hiking already counts as an extreme sport and is often not covered by the international insurance of the traveler)
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, mosquito repellent, hiking shoes, long-sleeve pants and shorts, clothes to change, sweatshirt, hat, bottle of water
- Meeting point: If your accommodation is located in the city of Bucaramanga, we will pick you up and give you a ride back without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the day trip at 7 am. However, if you wish to start the tour earlier or later, we will be flexible and adapt the tour to your desired schedule. Usually in the afternoon we will start the ride back to Bucaramanga.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2019). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports. Colombian residents receive a discount of 10%, but must pay additional 19% IVA (ARTÍCULO 481 DEL ESTATUTO TRIBUTARIO/ DECRETO 297 DE 2016).
|Canyon Trekking: Prices per person depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||90,000||100,000||130,000||170,000||250,000||480,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||31||34||45||59||86||166|
* The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:2900 on November 23, 2018. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3200 on November 23, 2018. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.