The Reinita Cielo Azul Bird Reserve of Proaves was created in 2005 with the purpose of preserving the habitat of the migratory bird Reinita Cielo Azul (Setophaga cerulea), being the first Colombian and South American reserve created by the aim of preserving a migratory bird. Upon arrival you will have a brief introduction of a local guide before you continue with a hike on a colonial path observing the landscape of San Vicente de Chucurí, its surroundings and the tropical rainforest of the reserve. The cobblestone path was built about 150 years ago by the German engineer Geo von Lengerke, with a length of 40 kilometers going from San Vicente de Chucurí to Zapatoca.
The hiking tour lasts approx. 4 to 5 hours and the distance you will walk is about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) or less with an elevation of up to 300 m. At one point you will have the opportunity to watch an endemic hummingbird from Santander: Black Inca (Coeligena prunellei) among other birds, especially hummingbirds.
- Private transport to the bird reserve approx. 1 hour from Bucaramanga
- A group of 1 - 4 persons in a car or small-size SUV
- A group of 4+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver (if a group of 4 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 3 pays per person)
- Hiking of approx. 4 to 5 hours
- Entrance to the natural bird reserve
- Donation of approx. 40,000 COP/ 10 USD for the conservation of the reserve
- Homemade lunch
- English or Spanish-speaking accompaniment
- Accompaniment of a specialized guide from Proaves
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports (hiking already counts as an extreme sport and is often not covered by the international insurance of the traveler)
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, mosquito repellant, comfortable shoes, long-sleeve pants and shorts, second shirt, sweatshirt or jacket, hat, bottle of water
- Meeting point: If your accommodation is located in the city of Bucaramanga, we will pick you up and give you a ride back without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the day trip at 6 am and the day trip usually ends in the evening. However, if you wish to start the tour earlier or later, we will be flexible and adapt the tour to your desired schedule.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2023). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports.
|Natural Bird Reserve Proaves: Prices PER PERSON depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||380,000||390,000||500,000||630,000||880,000||1,630,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||106||108||139||175||244||453|
*The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3600 on November 26, 2021. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3900 on November 26, 2021. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.