Santander is the department with the biggest cacao production in Colombia producing more than 25 % of the country´s cacao. The region of Carmen and San Vicente de Chucurí is the main cacao region in Santander and well known for the high quality of the cacao and the sustainable production of its fair-trade products. The reason we selected the region is because there is cacao everywhere and you already drive through large cacao forests and past the beautiful Topocoro Lake on the way to the town of San Vicente de Chucurí.
Arriving on the cacao farm you will meet the owning family that welcomes you with a home-made hot chocolate. They will explain you the importance of the cacao in the region and how their entire life is influenced by the production of cacao. The tour will continue in a cacao tree forest on the farm, so you can learn about the agronomic management and you can admire the biodiversity of the crop. After the walk you will learn about all the steps of the cacao production from the harvest to the finished chocolate. At the end of the tour you will receive a short presentation of the finished products that can be made from cacao and you will have time to enjoy the quiet atmosphere at the farm.
- Private transport to San Vicente de Chucurí (approx. 2.5 hours from Bucaramanga; a group of 1 - 4 persons in a small-size SUV, a group of 5+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver; if a group of 4 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 3 pays per person)
- Cacao tour including home-made hot chocolates
- Visit of the center of San Vicente de Chucurí
- Lunch included in San Vicente de Chucurí
- English-, Spanish- and/ or German-speaking accompaniment
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports (if you want to do the Airplane Cave)
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, mosquito repellent, comfortable shoes, shoes that can get dirty and wet, a thin sweatshirt, hat, bottle of water
- Meeting point: If your accommodation is located in the city of Bucaramanga, we will pick you up and give you a ride back without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the day trip at 6.30 am. However, if you wish to start the tour earlier or later, we will be flexible and adapt the tour to your desired schedule. Usually in the afternoon we will start the ride back to Bucaramanga.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2020). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports. Colombian residents receive a discount of 10%, but must pay additional 19% IVA (ARTÍCULO 481 DEL ESTATUTO TRIBUTARIO/ DECRETO 297 DE 2016).
|Cacao Tour: Prices per person depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||190,000||190,000||210,000||260,000||360,000||690,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||63||63||70||87||120||230|
*The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3000 on November 6, 2019. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3300 on November 6, 2019. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.