Zapatoca is a beautiful and calm town not known by a lot of travelers. The town has 5000 inhabitants and people from Bucaramanga go there to enjoy a weekend having relatively mild temperatures (day temperature approx. 21 °C/ 79 °F). In town you can enjoy a beautiful central park and try home-made wine from oranges and blackberries. Close to town you will visit the cave “Cueva del Nitro” where a specialized guide shows you parts of the cave that is several kilometers long.
Zapatoca also has a lot of German history since the famous German immigrant Geo von Lengerke lived and died in the town. Nowadays you still find German stereotypes of the people living in Zapatoca.
The road to Zapatoca is one of the highlights of the trip because it goes right through the stunning landscape of the Chicamocha Canyon. There are several viewpoints to stop by during the road trip. One of the viewpoints you will visit at the end of the day is the Mirador Los Guanes which is on top of the mountains from where you can see many parts of Santander such as parts of Bucaramanga´s metropolitan area, Barichara, El Socorro, the Chicamocha Canyon, the Suarez Canyon, the crossing of the two canyons, etc.
- Private transport to Zapatoca aprox. 2 hours from Bucaramanga
- A group of 1 - 3 persons in a car or small-size SUV
- A group of 3+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver (if a group of 4 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 3 pays per person)
- Various stops at amazing viewpoints in the Chicamocha Canyon on the way to Zapatoca
- Walking tour in Zapatoca
- Entrance to the cave “Cueva del Nitro”, specialized guide for an hour, necessary equipment (It has an additional fee)
- Lunch included in the town of Zapatoca
- English or Spanish speaking accompaniment
- Travel insurance and additional insurance for extreme sports (entering a cave already counts as an extreme sport and is often not covered by the international insurance of the traveler)
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, comfortable shoes, shoes that can get dirty, sweatshirt or jacket, hat, bottle of water
- Meeting point: If your accommodation is located in the city of Bucaramanga, we will pick you up and give you a ride back without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the day trip at 7 am. However, if you wish to start the tour earlier or later, we will be flexible and adapt the tour to your desired schedule. Usually in the evening we will start the ride back to Bucaramanga.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2023). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports.
|Zapatoca: Prices PER PERSON depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||170,000||170,000||250,000||320,000||460,000||880,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||47||47||69||89||128||244|
*The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3600 on July 27, 2023. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3900 on July 27, 2023. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.