El Socorro is one of the most important historic towns in Latin America. It is the place where the first step to the independence of Colombia and other Latin American countries was made. In 1781, 38 years before the internationally accepted Colombian independence, the indigenous Manuela Beltran tore apart an important document of the Spaniards which was recognized as the first important revolt in South and Central America against the Spanish empire. That action led to the Revolution of the Comuneros and many other revolts on the continent. In El Socorro you will be right on the market place where the first step to the Colombian independence began and you will learn about it and other important historical influence of the town during a walking tour and in the historic museum.
Due to its historic importance El Socorro was declared town of national heritage. It is a neat place to visit since it has different churches and chapels, old unfinished government buildings and in general a well conserved colonial architecture.
- Private transport to El Socorro (approx. 3 hours from Bucaramanga; a group of 1 - 3 persons in a small-size SUV, a group of 3+ in a larger vehicle usually with a separate driver; if a group of 3 prefers a larger vehicle due to an excess of luggage, they will have to pay the price per person that a group of 2 pays per person)
- Walking tour in El Socorro
- Entrance and tour in the historical museum in la Casa de la Cultura
- Entrance and tour in the religious museum Convento Capuchinos
- Lunch included in El Socorro
- English or Spanish speaking accompaniment
- Travel insurance
- Recommendations: bring sunscreen, comfortable shoes, a thin sweatshirt, hat, bottle of water
- Meeting point: If your accommodation is located in the city of Bucaramanga, we will pick you up and give you a ride back without any additional cost.
- Schedule: It is recommended to start the day trip at 7 am. However, if you wish to start the tour earlier or later, we will be flexible and adapt the tour to your desired schedule. Usually in the late afternoon we will start the ride back to Bucaramanga.
- Prices are listed in the following table (valid until Dec. 31, 2022). Foreign travelers must bring their original passports. Colombian residents receive a discount of 10%, but must pay additional 19% IVA (ARTÍCULO 481 DEL ESTATUTO TRIBUTARIO/ DECRETO 297 DE 2016).
|El Socorro: Prices per person depending on the size of the travel group|
|Number of travelers:||10 or more||8 - 9||4 - 7||3||2||1|
|Price per person in COP:||180,000||200,000||230,000||290,000||400,000||760,000|
|Price per person in USD*:||50||56||64||81||111||211|
*The prices in USD are based on our internal exchange rate of 1:3600 on November 26, 2021. The international exchange rate was at about 1:3900 on November 26, 2021. If the value of the Colombian Peso drops by 5%, the listed prices will not be valid anymore! Moreover, we do not carry any transaction costs.